Useful search tips for advanced searching
Creating a Search Strategy
- Define your keywords: consider which synonyms and related terms would be useful
- Use what you already know: use the reading lists or references in your textbook. Are there authors writing or conducting research in the field?
- Look at subject specific encyclopedias or dictionaries for more help with keywords or overviews of the topic
- Use Boolean to focus or expand your research
- Use FindIt@Flinders to find books, videos and articles: use keywords, truncation, phrase searching and subject headings
- Use databases to find more specific information if required: check the databases' help pages for information about keywords, truncation, phrases, subject headings etc.
- Evaluate your results and adjust the search or try a new search tool if required.