Get started using the library!
Get a Flinders ID Card
Use your Flinders University ID Card to:
- borrow books from the Library
- photocopy and print on campus
- get student concessions from transport and businesses (including those on campus)
- access some Flinders University buildings (24 hour computer labs)
- You can get your ID Card from the Flinders Connect in person (Mon - Fri, 9am to 4.45pm) or order it online and it will be sent to your home address.
- Foundation Studies Students can borrow 100 items at one time from the Flinders University Library Collection.
- High demand items such as text books are available for 2 hour or 7 day loan.
- Usual loan period for books is 28 day loan.
- 7 Day and 28 Day loans will automatically renew unless someone puts a request on your book. You receive an email from the library when your loans are due back.
- You can also borrow 20 books at a time from the University of Adelaide and University of South Australia library. Take your Flinders ID Card to register. The University of Adelaide will issue you a Visitor ID card.
About the Library
As members of the Flinders University Library you can access millions of books, journals and DVDs across our 4 branch libraries and the Universities Research Repository of South Australia (URRSA).
- The Central Library is the largest with three floors. Find books about the Humanities, Sciences and Social Sciences.
- The Law Library is on level 3 of the Central Library building
- The Sturt Library specialises in the fields of nursing, midwifery, disability and optometry
- The Gus Fraenkel Medical Library is located behind the Flinders Medical Centre.
- URRSA is where Flinders University, University of Adelaide and University of South Australia store items that are not in high demand, you can access URRSA Mon-Fri, 12-5pm.
Get Help with Flinders Learning online (FLO)
The FLO Student Help Desk in located in the Central Library. You can also contact them by:
- phone 1300 354 633
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
Use your student card to pay for printing & photocopying
Unicard Systems is now providing all student copy and print services throughout Flinders University Adelaide Campuses.
If you need any assistance with copying / printing / binding or if you need binding supplies, please visit the Unicard Copy and Print Services shop located inside the Central Library, level 1.
Visit when it suits you!
All our libraries have extensive opening hours. Most days you can get an early 8am start and work late into the evening if you choose. We are also open weekends and most public holidays. Oh and don't forget you can return books anytime 24/7 or use our huge online resource collection anytime from anywhere.
Library World introduces you to the world of academic, scholarly information.
Like an unfamiliar country, it has its own language and customs, which can be difficult to understand. Finding appropriate information for your assessments can be hard and often confusing.
We interviewed 40 academics and students at Flinders to share their experience and expertise to help get you started on your Library World journey.
Can't get to Flinders?
It is worth the trip to visit and use the library for your research if you can make it. However, we know some of you work full time and live a distance from the University or in regional areas.
SendIt - Off campus library services are available to Flinders University students who fulfil at least one of the following criteria:
- Students studying fully online or fully externally.
- Students who live outside of the Adelaide metropolitan area.
SendIt staff can provide you with loans of books delivered via StarTrack couriers. They can also supply copies of journal articles, book chapters and many other resources (within copyright) to your Flinders email address as pdf attachments, unless you can only receive via post (available for students with no internet, or very slow internet). You can specify your delivery requirements on the registration form.
Find a space to meet your needs...
Some people who haven't visited an academic library get a surprise when they enter our space. It is a lot noisier and more social than they expect.
There is a cafe, hundreds of computer work stations, group study rooms and silent study spaces. Oh and we have some books too!
Keep track of your borrowing
Logon to FindIt@Flinders with your FAN and password to manage:
- Your loans
- Check due dates
- Saved Searches or items
- View your borrowing history (can be handy if you forget to write down a reference)
Suggested resources from Flinders Librarians
Search Smart subject guides recommend the best tools to use to find resources in a subject area.
There are also guides to help you create better searches and understand how to find different kinds of resources.
Your Librarian has created this guide for Foundation Studies. However, your essay topics cross many fields of research so you may find great ideas for research in the Politics or Sociology guides etc.
Get help with writing assignments and referencing
The Student Learning Centre is available to all Flinders students and can help you to understanding and planning your assignments, structuring and writing assignments, English language, referencing and more. They have a drop-in Learning Lounge and free lunchtime seminars on study skills including maths skills and essay writing. Many of their resources are also available online.
Still have questions?
Ask in person or visit the help pages online. It is our job to help you use the library and FLO effectively for your studies so please ask if you need to!