Information Types - Law
Law reports / unreported judgments
A series of volumes that contain published accounts of judgments.
Judgments as published in a law report series.
Reported judgments differ from unreported judgments as they are edited versions of a judgment and include additional information, such as:
- catchwords - a list of subjects
- headnote - a summary of the decision, plus orders
- details of legislation and earlier cases referred to
- arguments of legal counsel
Generally unedited versions of judgments made available online.
e.g. judgments on AustLII
You can find reported judgments in law report series. These series may be found:
- in print in the Law Library
- online (via the database of the publisher responsible for the series)
The best way to find a case is to use Find that Case@Flinders. Simply type in the abbreviation from the citation and you will see a link to the online version of the series, or learn where to find it in the Law Library.
You can find unreported judgments on either: