Institutional impact measures the collective citation frequency (collective impact) of the institution or department within the institution. This allows benchmarking against other institutions or departments of similar size and/or prestige. The Australian Government seeks to measure the research quality of Australian Tertiary Institutions through the ERA (Excellence in Research for Australia) process.
Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) assesses research quality within Australia's higher education sector. It is managed by the Australian Research Council (ARC).
- Conducted across 8 discipline clusters, within Field of Research (FoR).
- Institutions allocate their research output into these codes.
- Each Field of Research is assessed using either citations or peer-review as appropriate to that particular field.
- Assessment is on a range of indicators, not just publications.
- Each FoR is evaluated against world standard research in that field.
- Scale is 5 (well above world standard) through to 1 (well below world standard).
- A rating of 3 indicates research conducted is at a world standard.
- Rankings occur at a 2- and 4-digit FoR level.
Academic Ranking of World Universities
Developed by Shanghai Jiao Tong University, using six indicators to rank world universities:
Alumni and staff winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals.
- Highly cited researchers.
- Articles published in journals of Nature and Science.
- Articles indexed in SCI and SSCI.
- Per capita performance with respect to the size of an institution.
- View the ARWU website.
Times Higher Education World University Rankings
Powered by Thomson Reuters, comparing university performance across:
- Teaching and learning environment from the student and academic perspective.
- Research volume, income and reputation (from academic reputation survey).
- Number of citations (as indexed in Web of Science).
- Industry income.
- Ratio of international to domestic students and staff, and international collaboration.
- View the World University Rankings website.
Essential Science Indicators
Accessed via Web of Knowledge platform, ESI allows you to:
- Analyze research performance of companies, institutions, nations, and journals.
- Identify significant trends in the sciences and social sciences.
- Rank top countries, journals, scientists, papers, and institutions by field of research.
- Determine research output and impact in specific fields of research.
- See more information on ESI.