Systematic review searching
Systematic review workshop activities
Activity 1: Choose one of the systematic reviews from the list below. Look at the review's structure, with particular focus on the methods section.
|Title of review||Organisation||Description|
|Interventions to improve cultural competency in healthcare||Systematic review of reviews|
|Interventions implemented through sporting organisations for increasing participation in sport||Cochrane Collaboration||Systematic review of controlled trials|
|EPPI-Centre||Systematic review and meta-analysis|
|The impact of detention on the health of asylum seekers||Campbell Collaboration||Systematic review|
|Ontario Health Technology Assessment Series||Systematic review and qualitative meta-synthesis|
Activity 2: Test your knowledge
Answer the questions in the following quiz using the Medline database's 'Map Term to Subject Heading' feature.
Activity 3: Using EndNote to manage citations
- Click on this link to run a PubMed search on the topic: Austraiia's plain tobacco packaging policy
- Click on the 'Send to' drop-down menu and select 'Citation Manager' as the destination
- Change the number of citations to be exported to 100
- Once citations are in EndNote, identify and remove duplicate citations using the Find Duplicates function
- Create a Yes and No group
- Copy some citations to each group
- Retrieve the full text articles for the Yes group using EndNote's Find Full Text function.
These activities support the Research Higher Degree PD Workshop on search methods for systematic reviews held 25 May 2017.
The PowerPoint presentation for this workshop is available here.